Saturday, April 26, 2008

"Junk" miles

I woke up at 5:05am with a start. Seldom do I sleep deep but this morning I was truly in the "beta waves" mode of sleep. I felt my pulse racing due to this rude awakening. I lay in the darkness contemplating on calling off my long run. Since I would never be able to go back to sleep (I am a poor sleeper), I decided to drag myself out of my bed. Even as I made myself a cup of Java, I sensed that today, my run would suffer. My resting pulse rate was surely high - I could feel it!!

I stepped out the door and lo; I could feel the weather was the worst for a run. The humidity was probably in the 80s! I started out slowly and felt my heart rate was high. As I went thru about 14K, I realized that I was going nowhere with this kinda run. I met Pankaj today after a long time and we had some conversation about our lives. I made up my mind as I ran alongside, that I would "junk" this run. I looked at my watch and it said 7:32. Well, I had intended running till 8:30 - which would be suicidal today!

I jogged back home weary and disappointed. As I had my breakfast, I consoled myself about the fact that it is always advisable to listen to your body (don't I give this advise to others as a coach? huh?) then to let it break down in some misplaced enthusiasm to "hit the training target". Good show Dan. You are practicing what you preach:-) Let me see if I can do some "blitz runs" tommorrow to make up for the lack of "training stimulus"today!!!!:-)

No comments: