Sunday, June 13, 2010

Tough weekend

Watching world cup football and running back-2-back runs took my breath away. On Saturday morning, I met the group for a run at Aarey and with just 3 hrs of sleep, I felt even two loops was ambitious. In fact, it turned out to be so for me. I did a walk-run in the last 4K, including the hill climb. My blood sugar was extremely low and I must have looked pretty beat up because Srinivas exclaimed that I was looking pale! The post-run chit-chat was fun with jokes and anecdotes. We must have rested and talked for more than an hour.

On reaching home, I quickly ate a decent breakfast and tried to sleep. My HR was high and I felt extreme exhaustion. An hour later I woke up to hunger pangs, ate lunch and went back to sleep. I felt refreshed in the evening but then there was the meetup with Ryan and Malcolm, with family at Bandra gym. We had a fine time eating only meat from a "world cup" menu, comprising spare-ribs, beef chilly, mutton chops, lolyypops, chicken crispy, etc. The rum did a lot to prevent inflamation ( :-)) in my leg muscles. It must have worked because the next day' run was a cake-walk. I reached home at mid-night and was out like a light.

I woke up at 5am feeling like I had eaten rust; my mouth felt wooly and sour. I dragged myself off the bed and quickly made a cuppa java. I had to meet Raj at 5:45 at Goregaon. I was not sure whether I would be able to run at all. It was nice meeting a large group of runners at National Park. I started out with Apurba and soon realized that my legs had recovered enough for me to zip along. I don't know how this could be! Yesterday, I was completely beat up and there was no way I could run this fast today. Does alcohol really help recovery?? I hope not; I don't need anymore encouragement:-)

No comments: