Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Thundering hooves

I rose this morning even before my alarm went off, to the pleasant pitter-patter of rain drops. A quick cuppa and I was out the door. In the lobby I met my neighbour and even as I assumed he was back from his walk, I noticed that his Tee was crisp and starched. I brooded this in my cloudy state of mind and realized that the guy was a wimp and had just turned back after deciding not to walk in the rain. I guess the newspaper and a hot chai was more attractive. I then thought that I have been a bit harsh in judging him. Afterall, not many want to walk or run in the rain and perhaps their point of view that eating hot Bhajjias and drinking chai is a better buzz, may be the view held by a saner populace.

I shook these thoughts off as I had a lot on my mind and rued their misfortune in not experiencing a buzz, by running in a forest when its raining hard. I saw a monkey that has made an appearance over the last one week. He was sitting quietly on a culvert with his eyes darting around. He watched me zip by and didn't respond with any aggression. He has seen me doing this and perhaps feels he is better off having no truck with me. I ran a bit longer than I had planned because it felt bloody good. I was able to analyse and corroborate, on the run, what I'd always believed in; in life, nothing is as it seems. With such a philososphy, you avoid "being had". I clip-clopped back to my start point and smiled at Sohanlal who was waiting for me. I'd forgotten that he wanted some money for his travel to his native. I called him over to my place, handed him the amount, turned and walked back to the elevator. The truth, even if you expect it, is always bitter.

No comments: