Monday, December 21, 2009

That hammered feeling

The past week has been a tornado. I left for Delhi on Monday and thence to Hisar in Haryana, road. We then travelled a total of 1100kms in 4 days, covering Patiala, Ludhiana and back to Delhi. The weather was nice and the food was absolutely delicious, but the work pressure offset it all. I was not able to do any of my workouts as I am loathe to run in temperatures that are sub 15 deg C:-) The copious food and rum added to the obnoxious conditions necessary to plummet endurance.

I returned on Friday and decided to attempt my very first "2-a-days" equivalent. I went for a gentle run (a run-walk actually) of 14K on Friday at about 4:30pm. I came back feeling refreshed and ridding myself of guilt pangs for living the good life these past few days. The evening was spent at a lavish wedding with the glitterati (including Azim Premji, J J Irani, Keki Dadiseth, Anand Mahindra, Soni Razdan, Dolly Thakore et al) The delectable spread of food and wine was enough to send one dizzying without even tasting it.

I now have to figure out the absolutely daring that I mustered to set my wake up call on Saturday to do a long run. The debilitating precursors; a hard work out within 16 hours of another, Scotch whisky enough to rattle the liver, food and desserts that are confined to the category of extravagant, blubber that shows no sign of receding and sleep deficit thats making me a zombie. So, I go out on this run and attempt 31K and whaddya know; I stagger the last 10K like a doddering, foggy, consumed by age-related dementia, old man, listlessly reaching home to flop on the floor as if I'd just crossed the sahara without water:-)


I felt the effects of that run for a few hours and I had the misfortune to contract a virus that gave me the runs, when I, in a fit of low blood sugar, ate a meal of fried rice at the "Desi Deli" at Hyper City. I moaned and groaned, writhing in agony at the demon that seemed to be devouring my GI tract. The net effect was that the total calorie deficit due to 2 long runs in 16 hrs and the lack of appetite owing to the diarhoea, caused me to lose all the weight I'd put on thus far:-)) Not bad, not bad at all.

No comments: