Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Jackdaws

I have been glued to this novel by Jack Higgins which tells a story of six "brave heart" women that are parachuted down to France to blow up a telephone exchange that is a nerve centre for communication for the Nazis, between France and Germany. They are led by this extremely intelligent and gutsy woman named Felicity. She hand picks 5 women from common walks of life in London. The prerequisite being that they speak french and must each have a required function ie one is a telephone engineer, one a crack shot, one has handled explosives etc. They are all given a crash course in subversion, in two days!

As I went for a leisurely recovery run cum warm up cum strength training work out, I thought of Felicity and how she displayed "courage under fire" and resourcefulness. She has so many personal trials and professional commitments to deal with, and so little time; yet, she plans meticulously, evaluates situations, keeps her emotions under check, displays fortitude and faces the most dangerous and trying assignment with guts and gumption. I liken my current situation of being swamped with so much seeming adversity, to what Felicity was faced with - though hers was life threatening.

As I arrived at work, I was clouded in gloom but a thought provoking story, mailed by a close friend, followed up with some stock taking and a reasonably satisfactory review helped me to cheer up. I felt sprightly and jaunty as I took on some tasks that were long pending and needed my attention. It is amazing as to how a mind that is caught up in a depressive mood, can forget to attend to one' own basic priorities. It is only after my spirits lifted that it suddenly occured to me that I need to do this or that and OMG, how could I forget that:-) Lessons learnt and now I must banish all negative thoughts cause after all.......

This is Christmas season so there isn't any reason
we can't dance the christmas polka
Hear the sleighbells ringin', everybody singin'
and dancin' the christmas polka
Christmas trees and holly make everyone so jolly
and love just fills the air.........

No comments: