Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Recovery and anomaly

The Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) had yet to be purged out of my system, due to the 10K race I had run on Sunday. I set out for my recovery run to aid this process while musing on the mathematical model developed for i-Race. I have exchanged good-natured reservations on the parameters being used for the race time adjustments, with Madhur; but, I could not help feeling that height has no basis (except in running mechanics - which is difficult to model). Besides, though weight has a clear basis, there is scope for refining the model based on % fat in the total weight. This is because it is this fat weight that one lugs around and that brings down your pace. Maybe I'll broach the subject after my own cross-check so that feathers are not ruffled and only if I'm sure. On the other hand, I should "let sleeping dogs lie" cause my forte is fitness and distance running mechanics - I should leave alone the research aspect.

I found the recovery run rather high on RPE even though I was puttering along at a shuffle. Nevertheless, I know it will do me more good than bad; considering that I can afford to lose at least a Kg in this week:-) But then you have "Holi" round the corner and the beers with Allen are inevitable.

I met Dilip Kamtikar who has just returned from his trip to the Antarctica and he was beaming from ear to ear.He pumped my hand vigorously and said, "Daniel; we have to sit over a drink and discuss my trip; not like this - standing around," and burst into a guffaw. With a sparkle in his eyes, he mentioned that the beauty is mind-blowing and that he wants to discuss with the pics. I guess the Alibag trip to his Bungalow, is a given:-)

No comments: