Monday, March 30, 2009

And you thought you could skip recovery:-)

I had a pretty hard time in doing my weekly long run, on Saturday but I recovered enough mid-way, to finish it at my half marathon pace. I was sore all day and on Sunday, when I trained the Colpal group on body weight strength circuits I found it very taxing. Today, I woke up with the intention of doing speedwork (since I will be on business tour this week) and I had infact planned that I would try to do a harder workout than was prescribed. This effectively meant that I was ignoring the requirement to treat this week as a recovery week.

I began jogging with a limp:-) and progressed into a shuffle with a heart rate near its peak. Its not funny as to how, after all these years and with my reputation as a coach, I seem to be getting foolhardy in training myself. I reached the start point for my speed workout and set off at VO2max pace. Oh boy! the damn pain in my calves and shins told me that they don't prescribe recovery weeks for nothing. Shame on you Dan!

I finished my speedwork with my target pace ( I tend to be demanding on myself) and came away with an RPE of 9 and a sheepish grin on my face. I must have looked pretty wasted because one of the regular walkers that gives me a thums up everytime I meet him said, "You are looking very tired today. What happened?", and I answered (again sheepishly), "Too much running last week". Take it easy Dan or you'll come down with one of those colds that last 2 weeks and screw your training.

No comments: