Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Whew! I made it!

After enduring months of studying in planes, trains and cars, I was delighted to receive intimation from the American Council on Exercise that I am now a Certified Fitness Professional. Well, this certification allows me to design exercise programs for strength and endurance for not only healthy populations but it licences me to deal with special populations such as those suffering from obesity, diabetes, arthritis, osteoporosis, coronary heart diseases, muliplesclerosis and even pregnant populations.

Frankly, I did find the course content tough because it entailed knowing every bone and every major muscle in the body by location, origin, insertion and their latin names. In addition, the chapters on nutrition, injuries and pregnancy placed a substantial load on my ability to memorise - I had long lost this ability after studying to be an Engineer. Well, I could call myself a 30% doctor now - at least the course content made me feel like one:-) I was just joking; if I encounter questions that are the domain of a health care provider, my "code of conduct" requires me to refer the person to one and not "stray" into this area!

No comments: