Friday, October 30, 2009

The desire to play

In every real man a child is hidden that wants to play. - Friedrich Nietzsche
I look at Bryan going out every evening, lobbing the football with its thumping "Dhup, Dhup, Dhup.." and I am transported to a time when I was in the lane. I used to do the same, arriving at 4:30pm in the hot afternoon sun, waiting for the guys to turn up for a passionate game of football. There were those frustrating moments when some SOBs used to take afternoon siestas and their moms were loathe to wake them up. I used to wonder, "How can these guys sleep when they know we have a match to play and its going to be sun-down soon??" Well, they probably did not share the same passion for football as I did.

I can understand why that game of football is so important to Bryan, even though his exams are round the corner. I know that its his release, his passion, his life! I know that if I stop him, he'd probably go crazy sitting in the house and may even lose his ability for retention and recall:-)) I am in a reverie now and I can see my exertions, my sweat, the grin as we get back and meet the girls who probably found us macho (wink); and, yes the clink of glasses at the local "cold-drinkwalla" where we pooled money for the sherbets. I remember my, now fat, friend Bamoo joking with one of the guys that never paid up, saying, "What will you drink?" and the guys goes, "I'll have a Rush" (an aerated drink in my time) and Bamoo says, "Please rush home":-)))) I am chukling now and the maid is wondering if my overseas tipple has caused me to lose my marbles:-) So much for memories. Time to pour a small one and dream a lil' more. Dojo comes trotting and curls up as he realizes my mood is mellow.

No comments: