Saturday, August 22, 2009

Missed workout

I am not sure what caused me to wake up at 2:52am but it made me groan in resigned dejection. I was on tour to Madurai and Coimbatore since the last 3 days and was looking forward to doing a long run today. Accordingly, I had set my alarm for 5am and I now realised that it would have to be called off. Well, the fact of the matter is that last night, when I took stock of my situation, I assessed that not only was I running a sleep deficit, but I was exhausted and running a temperature. Besides, with only an egg dosa for breakfast and curd rice for lunch on saturday, and with no hydration whatsoever, I was sure to face a disastrous long run depleted of glycogen and hydration.

I am sure it was God' own way of telling me that I am better off turning off the alarm and resting today. The old adage of 'live to fight another day' floated thru' my mind as I felt sleep and exhaustion bring on a heaviness on my eyelids. When I finally woke up, it was 7:35am I realised that it was well past the time to run and voila, I was feeling on top of the world with a renewed vigour in my being. The warm furry form of Dojo at my feet made me smile and curl up for another 5 mins of 'snooze'. Dojo, who missed my presence, seems to understand how to divide his ministrations between Minoti and me, so that no one is left unattended:-) Well, there is enough time to hydrate and carbo-load today, but the only hitch is that Nihal' wife' birthday, and the ensuing 'celebrations' and late night, could be the damp squib to my noble intentions of doing the long run tomorrow.

No comments: