Monday, August 24, 2009

Glimmer of hope

Anupriya' birthday celebration was held at MIG club in Bandra and the venue suited me well since it was right next to the highway and I could easily avoid 'breathalizers' that are wielded by policemen nowadays:-) It was a small and jocund company, and the banter and tipple lasted till 11pm. By the time we got home and I went to bed, it was midnight. I hoped for the best since I was going to sleep just 5 hours and I had about 3 large shots of whisky for my liver to contend with.

And so I woke up at 5:11am and felt surprisingly spritely after my cup of java. Diluted orange juice and a granola bar and I was put-putting away on my bike. I started hesitantly and with lingering doubts about lasting this long run. About half way thru' I realized that I was going to make it afterall; albeit, with my ventilatory threshold stretched to its limit. The sky was overcast throughout my run and I was wondering when the heavens would open up and mitigate my exhaustion, when suddenly the rain came down in torrents. I smiled as I felt the salt and sweat being washed away and my inflamed limbs got a respite with cold rainwater quenching the burn that had gripped them. I had still some way to go but a sudden extempore spurt by way of a tempo run for one mile gave me a thrill and I decided that I could as well call off the rest of the run. I stopped to ponder, "Am I in shape for the Hyderabad Marathon?". I shook my head and thought aloud, "Only if you look at it as an extended long run". Hmmm....lets see if all other things, personal and professional, are in place.

No comments: