Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Vacillation, Confusion, shouting and a truce:-)

It started at 8:30pm last night when Bryan announced that he has to play a football match and was to reach 'Mcdonalds' at 7am! There were arguments about Mumbai' floods, uncertainty on traffic conditions, reminders that his parents work and would be worried etc etc. He, of course, had his own reasons for first negotiating, then pleading, then shouting; saying that his coach would throw him out of the team if he didn't turn up. I understood his problem; it had to do, not only with his coach' ire but, also with acceptance in a peer group comprising the school team. What if they turn up and he doesn't? They'd call him a "durpoak". The arguments went on till 10pm and since I wanted to do a 1 hr run I was wondering how I would handle reaching him at Andheri station.

I reassured Bryan that if it did not rain heavily, I would drop him at Borivali (the venue of his match) by car and go to office late. He was relieved and called his team to announce that he would turn up. I guess he slept well:-) I woke up about 6 times last night and heard the roar of a heavy downpour. I realized that Bryan would have to miss his match. Heck! maybe his match would be called off. Well, he woke up at 5:30am and sauntered to the window. He asked, "Can I go for the match?". We watched the news which didn't sound very encouraging. Then there was confusion! Monsoon, stated that neither would he go to school nor go for the match in "this heavy rain". Bryan sulked and argued and...God!

Finally, I had this bright idea. I told him that if my driver turns up, he could go with driver and play his match - I would take leave from office. All of the furore settled and there was the truce:-) Well, the driver turned up, Bryan went and played his match, got accepted by his team for turning up and I went for a 13K run with enough time on my hands. Sometime the solution is simple - but it involves giving:-) Dojo was equally delighted to see that I had not worn my office clothes - how these animals understand!

No comments: