Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Conversations in the rain

I woke up at 4:40am with a sudden start and realized that, given my chronic insomnia, it would be nigh impossible to catch another 40 winks before 6am, my scheduled wake up time. I decided to enjoy a hot cuppa tea and stare out the window at the falling rain. It was a rainy day alright and I wondered whether Bryan' school bus would make it in this downpour. Even as I watched Bryan getting ready for school, I saw that the rain was now a torrential rush. Time to take a call on whether to send Bryan to school at all. After much agonizing, I thought it best to ask him to stay put at home. He, of course, was delighted with the decision and broached running with me!

Well, that left me to decide as to what I'd like to do about my run:-) I wore my running attire deliberately and began steeling myself for the discomfort of running in this weather. A drizzle is nice; but, giant buckets of water from the sky and a roar of gusty winds? You gotta be kidding, right? Wrong Dan, you just take the lift downstairs and then we'll see. I shook my head as I stared out from the lobby, even as the watchman looked at me with a grin. I said, "one, two, three, here we go!", and I stepped out. There was no turning back now so I jogged along roads that had ankle deep torrents flowing across. I was now soaked to the skin in less than a minute and started feeling the warmth of my exertions counter the cold shower.

It took me a while to cross the JVLR road because there was a huge rush of waves, everytime cars went by - and there were many. I entered the environs of my beloved forest and suddenly I was transported to another world. A world that stood still and silent but for the chirping of birds; full of natural beauty and glistening raindrops and brown coloured rivulets in the mud paths. I grinned with deep satisfaction for having cheated my mind which had taunted me to call off today' run. I jogged the inclines leading to my route and felt liberated as I saw an overcast sky, narry a soul (except for the strays that shivered in the cold & damp) and God' voice in the wind. I finished a gentle 33 mins jog and came home to a yelp of joy from Dojo, who wondered whether this hombre, creating large puddles on the floor, had gone loco:-))))

1 comment:

jimpurdy1943@yahoo.com said...

Your profile says "passionate runner."

I guess so.