Friday, May 8, 2009

Cruise intervals on a "Bullet"

I recently got my "Bullet" (Royal Enfield), an old heavy version, upgraded to "CDI" (capacitor discharge ignition) - which is being able to start the bike without a battery. It felt good to ride it after 2 years. I let the deep throb vibrate thro' my body as I put it into "cruise speed". Bryan was riding pillion and was in awe at the latent power it exhibits even when you are doing a steady 30 kmph. I told him I'd get it spruced up when he goes to college so that the girls vie to get a lift. It is miles ahead of the "Karishma", "Pulsar" and other farts seen all over the place. I managed to get a shy grin from him.

I now ride it early in the morning so as to park it at my regular spot and then take off for my run. Monsoon says the bike makes too much of a thunderous roar in the morning and probably wakes up the whole society:-) I managed to put in a steady tempo run at Half Marathon pace and felt the pace get hard. Just as I was about to call it quits with 1.6K to go, my inner voice kicked in and said, "careful Dan, you are going to get used to quitting. Think of this as the last 6K in a full marathon". Before I knew it, some neurotransmitters made the necessary synapses and I actually cruised thru' and shaved off 15 secs from this mile! So much for quitting:-) I returned elated on my "Bullet" and wondered about getting such "restrained power" in my own endurance so that the full marathon would be like a 'walk in the park' - well it never is, so don't kid yourself:-)

No comments: