Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Some Giddyup!

I wasn't ready to stir from my deep slumber but my full bladder played spoil sport. I cursed in the darkness and sauntered to the washroom as I threw in the towel:-) I staggered back and I thought I should try and catch some sleep; but a peek at my watch told me that it in a short while Bryan would have to be dropped at the bus-stop.

I had a spring to my step even as I went about brewing an "Earl Grey" for myself and fixing a peanut butter sandwich. I needed the sandwich as I had planned some "giddyup" to my stride in the speed workout that was to follow shortly. Besides, it was an off-day for me and I could do the work out at leisure.

The air smelled crisp and felt cold as Bryan and I sped on the motorbike. I parked it at my usual spot and jogged to the start point waving out to my 'walker' friends. It has been quite a while since I'd been to Aarey. The ambience always served to shore up my spirits due to its verdant expanse, the 'chirp chirp' of birds and the camaraderie of walkers.

A few stretches, lunges, butt kicks and I was ready. The 1st rep resulted in my running at mile pace and it showed too:-) Even as I felt my chest heaving during my 'active recovery' back to the start, I cautioned myself that if I cared about finishing this workout, I had better ease up on the accelerator. The next few reps were a breeze and I braced myself for the inevitable 'lead calves' feeling but it did not show up. I cranked out 12 reps; all at target pace and returned to my motorbike at a jog realizing that my RPE was just 6!! Good God! something must have gone right today. Then it dawned on me that I had slept well the last 3 nights and my endurance, after my run at national park, was spiked up. So much for the my thesis on the "ingredients to a super speed workout".

I returned home to a nice long and warm bath, eggs and cheese breakfast and Dojo watching me adoringly while I shared my "laughing cow" cheese with him. Bryan would have "bhagaoed" him if he had seen me sharing cheese. There are somethings that bring a tinge of jealousy to Bryan: da-da sharing cheese with Dojo:-) So what have you planned for today Dan? "Nothing!" I answered to myself as I rested my legs on pillows and surfed channels on the television.

No comments: