Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Farenheit



It seemed the perfect way to wakeup. My eyes popped open and I lay breathing easy, looking out at a dark sky, wondering whether it was an unearthly hour or close to dawn. I reached for my digital watch. It glowed to show 4:27am; just 3 mins short of my wake up alarm. I also felt well rested and wondered about Venkat, our RFL member' theory, about sleep waves and that waking up in the gamma phase causes disorientation and headaches: there was none of this.

I had too many things to do before Srinivas picks me up at 5am. This included the wash up ritual, my cuppa java, getting blocks of ice set in utensils, out of them and into an ice-box and putting together the paraphernalia I need for running a full marathon. Yes, we were scheduled to do our fourth marathon in as many months. The heat and humidity made it a daunting prospect.

We began our run at 5:40am and the first 28K were a breeze, in that, we had cerebral discussions on training requirements for running an Ultra-marathon (Comrades), real estate and of course the banter involving jokes from Kavin' repertoire. We had our angels in Madhumita, Pramila and Puneet; they have been selflessly manning an aid station for 4 - 5 hours; and, besides the usual ministrations of serving us electrolyte, or energy bars or handing out ice-water, they encouraged us with applause and cheering for every loop of 7K that we did. This time there were others that joined in to help us. There was Natasha, Ashwin, Allen and Kavin.

We started for the last but one loop and there was animated discussion about how we could do the same before 11am, which was 2 hrs away. Amit was like, 'Do gante mein aaram se ho sakta hai boss' and I replied, 'Amit, the game suddenly changes'. That became the catch phrase for all later; "the game changes":). We were still fine as we had done just 28K and since I am convinced that physiologically, the wall really does not disappear, I was the lone cynic. Then it happened: Srinivas' legs buckled at 30K and he announced, 'Dan, I'm plastered man. Don't know how I'm gonna finish this one!'

At 34K I felt as if lead was being pumped into the blood vessels in my legs. This was the cold and icy clutch of fatigue gripping me. A sense of impending doom made me feel desolate, as I still had a long way to go. At 35K, with one last loop to go and feeling a bit faint, I decided to tank up on electrolyte fearing cramps. It seems to have reached a part of my innards where it mattered most, as I felt a brief spell of freshness. Then at 38K, I felt my legs buckle, but the very thought that there were just 4K to go, allowed me to hang on to Amit (who felt the strain too and was also slowing down now), so that I could finish with him. When we had 400m to go, Mahesh was ahead, but turned around and came back to run alongside me saying, 'Sir, ke saath finish karna hai.' Courtesy, humility and simplicity are the terms of endearment that define these true friends of mine.

We staggered to the finish and had our angels give us a thumping welcome. My relief was ineffable but clearly evident from the way I hobbled and sat on a nearby bench:) A while later, I felt as good as new:) There was ample post run carboloading comprising a delectable selection of fruit, sandwiches, a box of turkish delights that were aptly called Harem' Delight and a sinful looking chocolate cake; the later being a celebration, both belated and advance, for Madhu', Puneet' and Supriya' birthdays. The classic finish to the whole event was the ice cold can of TUBORG and KINGFISHER DRAUGHT, thoughtfully cooled to perfection by our angels, who leave no stone unturned to spoil us:). The 4/12 was done and in the bag, but it was one hell of a run in rising mercury. I felt the faint strains Phil Collins' song in my heart;

I call out to the woman on the street
She can see I've been crying
I've got blisters on the soles of my feet
Can't walk but I'm trying

Oh think twice, it's another day for me in paradise
Oh think twice, it's just another day for you and me in paradise