Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Depressing failures

Over the last one month I have been battling one failure after another, both on the running as well as the office front. I have been unable to complete a single long run at the target pace since the last 5 weeks. Well, to tell you the truth, I have not been able to complete several long runs; period! I have stopped at 17K and 21k at an RPE of 10+. I am not sure whether it is dehydration or glycogen depletion. I need to find out, and fast!

On the office front, I have been contending with an increased intensity in office politics as well as poor financial results for the forthcoming first quarter. Nice timing:-), considering that I was just promoted. Well, when it rains it pours, doesn't it? I am not new to this depressing adversity but then, like "this too shall pass", I had thought that most of it had passed and I'd be seeing sunshine days. No such luck Dan. You have to fight it out and yes, this too shall pass.
As a small consolation, I had a victory of sorts in my run today. I had a rather tough work out scheduled and, considering that I had not slept enough (what with the office stress), I was in poor shape to finish it. Well, it really did look like I would have to abandon the work out midway. I guess, the revulsion I felt towards everything going wrong nowadays, brought up an intense desire to see me thru' this work out - at least:-) Finish I did - on my terms. The force is still with you Dan.

1 comment:

Violet Star said...

To you, from Kahlil Gibran' The Prophet:

"Like a giant oak tree covered with apple blossoms is the vast man in you.

His mind binds you to the earth, his fragrance lifts you into space, and in his durability you are deathless.

You have been told that, even like a chain, you are as weak as your weakest link.

This is but half the truth. You are also as strong as your strongest link.

To measure you by your smallest deed is to reckon the power of ocean by the frailty of its foam.

To judge you by your failures is to cast blame upon the seasons for their inconsistency.

Ay, you are like an ocean,

And though heavy-grounded ships await the tide upon your shores, yet, even like an ocean, you cannot hasten your tides.

And like the seasons you are also,

And though in your winter you deny your spring,

Yet spring, reposing within you, smiles in her drowsiness and is not offended."

Amen.