Thursday, January 22, 2009

Of coping with failure

When you put yourself on the line in a race and expose yourself to the unknown, you learn things about yourself that are very exciting. - Doris Brown Heritage

The 6th edition of SCMM 2009 was looming close even as I sunk into a contemplative mood; looking for answers that I knew didn’t exist. The 4 weeks before the marathon saw me cutting short my long runs at the 23 – 25K with progressively increasing groin pain. There was a tendon that had somehow gotten inflamed – probably in one of my speed workouts. I had ignored it thus far but I felt the specter of failure and impending doom clouding my mind during the last week of my “taper”. I was elusive with my answers during the final briefing I held for my Aarey & Colpal runners, when they queried me on my state of preparedness. I silently prepared myself for the worst.

I woke up on race day and routinely checked my clinical parameters ie blood pressure and heart rate. Perfect; they had to be because my endurance was in place. After all I had run the Lausanne Marathon less than 3 months back and had done three 20 milers. I reached the venue and went out straight to the holding area; minimizing my own unenthusiastic high fives with fellow runners. I whispered a prayer as I set off from the start line. At the 10K mark I was dot on pace with a 54:36. I rounded the INS Trata corner after giving Mahesh the thumbs up – I didn’t let him know that my judgment indicated that he would miss his sub 3:30 at his present pace. At the 20K mark I saw the lead runners go by like a pack of hounds – amazing! At the 21K mark, I clocked a 1:57:23 and compared it to my 1:56 at Lausanne; still in good shape and time.

The curtains started coming down at the Bandra Reclamation point as a dull throb made its presence. Dark clouds gathered in my mind as I realized that it would be a tough call. At the 25K mark I saw my bro-in-law, Joe and waved out but there was despair writ large on my face. For the next 3K I held a reasonable pace even as the roar in my ears (due to my brave attempt to bear the pain) rose to a crescendo. I suddenly felt a surge of blinding pain and dropped pace to a shuffle. Rajesh came by and I looked at him in consternation, as it dawned on me that I was now slowing down substantially. I was now at 29.5K and I made a decision that I’d touch the 30K mark (which I did in 2:52:26) and drop out. It would be foolhardy to continue as the troublesome tendon would surely give. This would mean a 3 months rehab; at the least. This was the only Marathon in which I was advised by Monsoon to carry my cell phone – did she have a premonition? I called Joe who broke through police barriers to fetch me in a taxi and we rushed to the start line medical tent for pain relief. I hobbled around as I rued my humbling experience in this Marathon that I had looked forward to so much. A strange peace suffused my being as a voice echoed in the recesses of my mind soothing me with, “whatever happens; it happens for the best”. I reassured Monsoon and Bryan that I was fine. We scheduled lunch at “Pratap” with Bamoo (aka “Hagar” but not “the horrible”J). A few beers and the delectable seafood cuisine saw us joking as if all was well. Au revoir /Auf weidersehen SCMM!
Running is like life, it's a long journey, but well worth it. - Unknown

1 comment:

Violet Star said...

"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses
your understanding.

Even as the stone of the fruit must break, that its
heart may stand in the sun, so must you know pain.

And could you keep your heart in wonder at the
daily miracles of your life, your pain would not seem
less wondrous than your joy;

And you would accept the seasons of your heart,
even as you have always accepted the seasons that
pass over your fields.

And you would watch with serenity through the
winters of your grief.

Much of your pain is self-chosen.

It is the bitter potion by which the physician within
you heals your sick self.

Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy
in silence and tranquillity:

For his hand, though heavy and hard, is guided by
the tender hand of the Unseen,

And the cup he brings, though it burn your lips, has
been fashioned of the clay which the Potter has
moistened with His own sacred tears."

Khalil Gibran

The calm dawn awaits.But the storms you will have to pass thro'.Welcome it. Feel it. It can only strengthen you.