Thursday, July 10, 2008

Guinness & Glycogen

I had a very satisfying long run on saturday, 5th July. As usual I felt the ache in my calves and achilles tendon as I limped around, all thru' the morning, at work. It is an established fact in sports medicine, that glycogen (carbohydrate) storage is enhanced after depleting the same thru' a long run and that, to aid the process, one is advised to eat or drink carbo-loaded foods. Well, I have my own "recipe" for this sports nutritional advice and that is beer. It has a healthy mix of water (which hydrates), carbohydrate (that restores Glycogen) and, not to forget, alcohol (that soothes the senses:-)

When I reached home from work, I quickly changed into comfortable clothes and reclined on the sofa with the world famous "Guinness". I am a self-acknowledged "Guinness freak" and this particular can that I held in my hand, was gifted to me by a dear friend; it was wrapped in a ribbon of "thoughtfulness and caring". I relished every sip as I felt the mild sting of its fizz and the bitter after-taste of hops grown in the Irish countryside, roasted on ignited peat and fermented in copper vats; releasing their special blend of organic compounds that react in complex ways to come up with a truly heavenly brew. Dojo sat at my feet with an adoring and curious look; understanding my bliss but wondering how this would compare with a "mutton paya" that he considers as "manna from heaven:-)

No comments: